Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Gave Blood

   Yesterday I gave blood at a local blood drive being run by the Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI).  I try to give as often as I can, although circumstances sometimes delay things.  For instance, the last time I was eligible to give, I was in the midst of fighting a nasty cold, which may have actually been pneumonia.
   Yesterday morning though, I was running an errand (which eventually multiplied into four errands) before heading to Tulsa in the afternoon, when I saw the Blood Mobile sitting in the parking lot of a shopping center in Stillwater.  I kept it in mind as I went about my tasks, and wound up back at the Blood Mobile before heading back home. 
   Nobody seemed to be around, and I never saw any advertising, but being curious, I went inside and found three OBI people waiting for donors.  It was almost noon and I signed in as the third donor of the day.  Less than half an hour later, I was heading home, having donated a pint of blood (I'm A+, by the way) and getting some cookies and Gatorade.
   As usual, it was a pleasant experience.  Many people don't like to donate blood.  I read somewhere that only about 5% of potential donors actually give blood.  I know people have lots of reasons why they don't want to donate, but I blow right past the biggest reasons, because: 
  • I'm not afraid of needles.  Yeah, I was as a little kid, until I accepted the fact that doctors and nurses were trying to help me.  The people who draw blood are professionals and very good at what they do.  They also use sterile needles, and they make sure the area is clean and sterile before poking.
  • It's not that painful.  I've had sprains, broken bones, jammed fingers, bee stings, mosquito bites, paper cuts, cat scratches, dog scratches, stubbed toes, paper cuts, and many other little injuries that hurt far, far worse and for a longer time than a poke for giving blood.
  • I may not have the time at a given moment, but I will make the time when I can.  My donation may be the one that helps save a life.  I hope that if I'm ever in need of blood, somebody else will have donated the type I need at the time. 
   Oh yeah, I also got a T-shirt and a pass for two to the zoo.  That's not the reason I gave blood, though.  I gave because it seemed like the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment