Sunday, July 3, 2011

Don't Try This at Home

   Did you know that powdered non-dairy coffee creamer is flammable?
   I saw an episode of "Mythbusters" where they showed an extreme example of just how big a ball of flame they could get from powdered creamer.  I had a pretty good idea I knew what they were getting into because I experienced the awesomeness of powdered creamer pyrotechnics first-hand.
   Several years ago, I worked for a place that had awesome employee parties a couple of times a year.  Once, around Christmas time, we had an employee dinner at a restaurant called "Stillwater Bay,"  which was located in downtown Stillwater, OK, and was known for their delicious steaks and seafood. 
   At the time, the Bay had candles on the tables, and the usual complement of salt, pepper, sugar, sweetener, and, of course, powdered non-dairy creamer.  During the evening at on point, I said to my boss, "Did you know Coffeemate is flammable?"
   "What"? he replied.  "I don't believe you!"
   Another employee, Amy, backed me up.  She and I, almost simultaneously, started demonstrating what happens when you sprinkle the powdered creamer onto a candle flame.  POOF! 
   We were having fun making small fireballs when I took it to an extreme.
   I emptied several packets into my palm and said, "Watch this!"
   WOOOMPH!  A big ball of flame shot toward the ceiling.
   About that time, our waiter was walking around the corner balancing a huge tray of food.  We nearly gave him a heart attack and he almost dropped our food.
   I was startled a bit as well, because I hadn't expected such huge flame.
   We settled down after that, and I'm pretty sure that my boss left a huge tip, not just for the great food and great service, but also because we hadn't intended to give our server a coronary.
   Less than a month later, Stillwater Bay, along with its associated restaurants - Eskimo Joe's and Mexico Joe's, stopped putting powdered non-dairy creamer on their tables.  Also, the real candles on the tables at the Bay were replaced with electric candles.
   It's possible that these changes were coincidental to my shenanigans of that one fateful, fun, flame-filled night.   What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment