Saturday, June 25, 2011

What Would MacGyver Do?

   Have you ever had a MacGyver moment, where you are in a situation and make use of things on hand to solve a problem?
   I have.  One time was last summer.  My youngest had never been stung by a bee, so we weren't sure if he was allergic to bee stings.  The inevitable happened one day - he came running into the house holding one hand with the other, saying that he got stung by a bee on his finger.
   He has a few food allergies, so we have an Epipen for emergencies.  Trouble is, I couldn't remember where it was.  So while my daughter was helping get the stinger out, I went into the kitchen and started thinking of old remedies I'd heard about.  My first thought was baking soda and water in a paste, but since the sting was near a finger tip, I wasn't sure it would stay on too well.
   Then I remembered when I used to carry After Bite with me in my backpack.  That was great for soothing mosquito bites.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we didn't have any.  However...the gears in my head started clicking...the active ingredient is ammonia, and I knew where the ammonia was.  I grabbed a cotton ball and the jug of ammonia and told my kid to stop wiggling.
   "Is this gonna hurt?" he asked as I opened the jug and soaked the cotton ball with ammonia.
   "It won't bother me," I said with a smile. 
   "Not funny, Dad!"
   "No," I said, "it won't hurt.  Probably.  Not much anyway, if it does."
   The ammonia took the pain away.  I kept an eye on him for a bit, to see if he started swelling up or anything, and finally remembering where the Epipen was, just in case.
   We found out that he's not allergic to bee stings.  Actually, an hour later, he forgot which finger had been stung (they got the stinger out fast, so there was very little swelling).
   All was well, and the kids thought I had done a MacGyver-ish thing.  Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment