Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Go By

   When I taught, I would sometimes have a "Go By" column on my class rolls.  The first day of class, when I called roll, I would ask my students if there was a name that they would rather go by.  It made it easier to remember names and faces, and it sometimes helped break the ice at the start of the semester.
   When I was on the other side of the podium, as a student, I certainly felt more at ease when the teacher took the time to learn the students' names.  It seemed that the class was more personalized, that the instructor catered the content to the students needs.
   I go by my middle name, and if I'm called by my first name, it sometimes takes a moment to register.  I really appreciate it when somebody knows my "go by" name.  How about you?  Do you have a name you go by, or does it matter how you're addressed? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment