Monday, June 6, 2011

Brussels Sprouts FTW!

   Yeah, you heard me right.
   I used to hate Brussels sprouts.  Those nasty mini-cabbages were unfit for human consumption, I thought.
   But then I started to change my thinking.  I forced myself to eat them, usually at places that had buffets.  Buffets are great places to try things you wouldn't normally eat.  So I would put a couple of them on a plate - just to make sure I still didn't like them.
   At some point, though, I decided that if they were cooked just right, they weren't too bad.  About a year ago, I decided to get some at the store.  I found some frozen sprouts that could be heated up in the microwave.  They cooked in their own buttery sauce.  And they actually turned out pretty tasty, especially when I added them to a bowl of rice.
   Then I looked up Brussels sprouts on the Internet, to see if they were healthy.  Turns out they are.  And when combined with rice (or other gains), made a complete protein.  A friend of mine said that if you add some sugar to the water when cooking fresh Brussels sprouts, the sugar took the bitterness out.
   Lo and behold, I now actually enjoy Brussels sprouts.  I even tried them on homemade pizza - slicing them and adding them as a topping before putting the pizza in the oven.  Delicious!
   Wow!  A vegetable that is healthy and can be made to be quite tasty.
   I think I'll try asparagus next.

No comments:

Post a Comment