Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"I live for my dreams, and a pocketful of gold"

   I heard a story on NPR yesterday morning about how many dollar coins are stored away by the Federal Reserve, because Americans apparently don't want them.
   I'm one American who loves these coins.  They are nice and heavy and gold in color.  They are a conversation starter.  I'll put them in a tip jar and find that my service gets a little better.  They make wonderful treasures to hide to make a potentially boring present more memorable.  Since 2007, they have been minted with the face of each President - U.S. Grant being the latest.  And they jingle just like any other coins.
   Maybe most people don't like them, but I do.  And I find that they are hard to find, which makes each one more of a treasure to me.  I finally do have a place where I can get them.  There is a vending machine that accepts dollar coins, and I found that if I put $1.00 in smaller denomination coins (nickels, dimes, quarters) and push the coin return, the machine will spit out a nice, shiny dollar coin.  I have several Presidents and a few Sacajawea ones as well.
   I think it's cool to have a pocketful of gold jingling a merry tune as I stroll through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment