Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm Gonna Knock You Out!

   I was at my sister's house for a little family gathering cookout on Fathers' Day.  We were reminiscing about when we were kids and about the crazy things that happened.  I told everyone about how I've been putting some of those tales on this blog.
   At one point, somebody mentioned getting knocked out, and I said, "I knocked Leah Anne out with a baseball bat once."
   "He sure did," said my sister (Leah Anne), laughing.
   I'm not a violent person, and I want to make it clear that I didn't beat my sister senseless with a bat.
   Here's what happened:
   One summer, when we were at my grandmother's house in Texas, my friend Paul and I wanted to play baseball.  We were bored with just playing catch, so we took turns pitching batting practice to each other.  Since we didn't have a catcher, we used a tree as a backstop/catcher - any pitch that got by the batter would hit the tree and bounce back, rather that rolling under the bushes.
   On one of my turns at bat, I took a few practice swings and stepped up to the imaginary plate.  Paul started his windup and I cocked the bat backwards, getting ready for the pitch.
   Clunk!
   I thought I was too close to the tree and had hit it, so I moved up a couple of steps.  Paul was cracking up laughing.
   "What's so funny?" I asked.  Hitting a tree wasn't that hilarious, I thought.
   "You...your sister!" he blurted.
   "She's in the house," I said.
   He pointed and I turned around.  There was my sister, just starting to sit up in the grass.
   I hadn't hit the tree - just my sister's hard head.
   I didn't get in trouble for this one.  My sister admitted that she should have said something before walking behind me into the line of fire.
   Sometimes I'm surprised we survived childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment