Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What Does It Mean? Part 1 (Probably)

We use words every day. It's part of the package of being human beings.

But I often find myself using words that I don't know the meaning of. (And yes, the previous sentence ended in a preposition - and I do know what "preposition" means).

I've found that by using an authoritative tone, I can bluff my way into word definitions that sound almost believable.

Today, for example, the conversation went like this:

Ty: What does "cul-de-sac" mean?
Me: It's French for "You're going the wrong way."
Ty: Really?
Jess: No. It means...It's a street..
Me: It's one of those streets that is closed off at the end, and there's a curvy part so you can turn around...
Jess: Yes!
Me: Because you're going the wrong way!

The three of us all at the same time:
   Jess: NO!!
   Ty: Really?
   Me: Yes!

Jess: Don't listen to Dad.
Me: But how will you learn about alternative definitions?

I like being creative with my vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment