Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thumb Drive Commando

Has the following ever happened to you?

You forgot to do laundry last night. In the morning, you realize that you have no clean underwear. You don't have time to wash and dry a load of clothes, and hand-washing a pair of boxer-briefs is not only unappealing, but the idea of using the microwave to dry them is possibly not a good idea (note to self: check out whether drying wet clothes in the microwave works - start small, like a sock).

What do you do?

You can wear your cleanest of your dirty underwear is one option.

The other option is to "go commando."

Going commando is not that bad of an option. Some guys do it regularly, some all the time. I have two sons, and the topic has come up among us as viable options when you can't find clean underwear because you didn't do the laundry when you should have.

Is it a guy thing?

I'm saying it is. 

At least, I hope it is. I mean, I have a daughter, but I really don't want to know if she has ever had to go commando. That would send the train straight to TMI-ville, and I just don't want to go there.

When you go commando, unless you broadcast it to everybody, you're the only one who knows. If you don't go commando frequently, you remain somewhat self-conscious throughout the day because, well, you're not wearing any underwear. It really has no effect on your day. It's not like you have lucky underwear and without it bad things will happen. It's just that you know. You know?

Today is a day like that. I did have clean clothes to wear, so I'm good there. But when I got to work I realized my thumb drive was not in my pocket. It probably fell out while I was getting dressed. I know it's somewhere at home, so I'm not worried that I actually lost it. 

But I don't have it with me today.

You need to understand - it has things on it - documents, presentations, quizzes, tests, articles, etc., that I use for my classes. Plus it has more - an entire suite of programs that make things easier no matter where I happen to be. I can go visit my folks and, if an awesome idea hits me, I can plug my thumb drive in and act on the idea. I can log in to all of the sites I visit regularly from that thumb drive.

But I don't have it with me today.

Nothing bad will happen. Nobody really needs to know that I don't have it (let's face it - this blog post will never get 7 billion hits). I'm ready for the classes I teach today, and nothing that I really have to have is on the thumb drive that I forgot.

Nobody knows.

Except I know.

I'm going thumb drive commando today.

And now you know, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment