Sunday, May 22, 2011

Do You Have a Kindle?

   I sorta have one.  Amazon offers, for free, an application called Kindle for PC.  When it's installed, you can download and read books in the Kindle ebook format.  I think it's a pretty cool bit of awesomeness.  So much so that I put it on the kids' computer, which due to an unrecoverable crash, was brought back to life as an Ubuntu desktop.  Yeah, I had to do a little tweaking with Wine, but it works fine there.
   I've enjoyed my Kindle for PC, and books for it range from free to pretty reasonable prices.  It's worth looking into if you don't have a portable ebook reader and want to try before you buy.  And even though there are lots of options out there for portable readers, I think I will get a Kindle.  I really don't need anything fancy, because sometimes I just want to read a book.  Not browse, surf, email, watch silly videos.  Just read.
   And what really sold me on getting a for real Kindle was seeing the look on my dad's face last Christmas when he opened the gift from my sister.  She knew next to nothing about the Kindle, and got my dad the basic model.  He used to be very non-geek and work his PC illiteracy as a badge of honor...until he finally got his first PC.  I could almost swear that he reversed his age by 25 years as he learned new things and really got his geek on.
   My sister was a bit worried when he opened it because she thought there was something missing, it was so light.  He and I (mostly he - I'm so proud of my dad) set it up and said that the next time he travels to Ireland, which he does almost yearly, he won't have to pack a suitcase with books.  He'll just read them on his Kindle.
   Now back to me.  Yeah, there are plenty of ebook readers, as I said before.  But I want something basic.  Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I don't have a lot of discretionary dollars to spend.  Heck, I can't even afford a smartphone to rule my life and have settled for a phone that's less smart than me.
   Enter Swag Bucks.  I joined several months ago.  I'm always searching for things on the Internet, and while Google and Bing are great, Swag Bucks actually tosses out rewards in the form of Swag Bucks (tah-dah!) which can be used to purchase things.  And one of the things you can purchase with Swag Bucks is an Amazon virtual gift card.  The cards can be combined and don't expire.  I get the $5 card every time I accumulate enough Swag Bucks.  I think that right now I have around $53 of Amazon gift credit, and would probably have more but I bought a few Kindle books for my Kindle for PC.
   So I sorta have a Kindle now (if I want to lug my laptop around to read), but I'm saving up Amazon gift cards, via Swag Bucks, to get a light-weight Kindle that can go with me everywhere. 
   Did I mention I am one of "those" people who can handle delayed gratification?  Yeah, I got that going for me as well.
   How about you?  Do you have an ereader?  I have plenty of time to change my mind, and I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment