Monday, January 2, 2012

Let Me Take a Break

I was getting ready for my teaching assignment which begins tomorrow at Brown Mackie College in Tulsa, when I decided to take a short break.
I picked up my Kindle and turned it on.  I had downloaded a short story, "The Christmas Caper" by Christopher Bunn and decided to read it.  My 12-year-old was sitting at the other end of the sofa, playing his DS, when I decided to start reading out loud.
This is a very funny story, in which Santa (a skinny Santa, Jr., it turns out) gets knocked out at his last stop, finds himself in jail on suspicion of theft, escapes with the help the only elf left at the North Pole (the others had left for vacation), and goes on a wild ride (literally) to catch the bad guys who now have the sled and the Santa Bag.
As I read this out loud, I noticed my son had quit playing his game.
"Should I stop reading out loud?" I asked as innocently as I could.
"No!  Keep going," he replied.
And so we had a pleasant afternoon, laughing at Santa, Snix (an elf armed with a taser) and a couple of other elves pulled from a party in Hawaii, as they track down the Gambinis, and....
Wait, I've said too much.  Maybe you should get this delightful story and see for yourself how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment