Thursday, June 5, 2014

But Wait, There's More!

I have a Kindle Fire HD. I love it. I used to have a plain Kindle and read a lot on it. That was its main purpose - be an e-reader.

But it went wonky. The screen massed up. I'd had it long enough that my only option was to buy another one, because they couldn't fix it.

I ended up with my Kindle Fire HD. I'd been saving up for it, but got one as a gift. Score!
I started putting my books on it.

But then I tried out an app. And then another. And another.

Now I have dozens of apps (I weed them out occasionally, but I still have a lot on the tablet, and many more in the Cloud). Most of the apps are free and/or beta versions.
Ones I really like, I'll end up buying. Some, like Astrid (my all-time favorite productivity app), get bought by a bigger fish (Yahoo! bought Astrid) and then kill it off. This makes me leery about buying apps, although it hasn't stopped my completely.

However, the vast majority of my apps are free and supported by ads. Usually, I have no problem with that. Most ads are inconspicuous, or they pop up after I finish a game or a level. No big deal.

Early this morning things changed.

I was reading my Twitter feed on Tweetcaster, and as usual, the little inconspicuous ads were running down at the bottom. I occasionally glanced, but mostly ignored them.
Then one showed up with sound. Definitely conspicuous, because, like late-night TV commercials, the sound was louder than a normal app (I keep the volume down when everyone is asleep). 

Holy cats!

I clicked on the little 'X' that ads have so you can make them go away. The video part of it went away, but the guy kept talking at me as if he would annoy me enough to buy what he was promoting.

I hope this doesn't become the norm. If so, I may have to go back to reading books on my Kindle.

I don't think that's a bad thing when I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment