Friday, January 25, 2013

Hello World

I'm currently teaching two classes, three days a week at the main OSU campus in Stillwater, OK, and one class on Thursdays at the OSU campus in Tulsa.  Additionally, I pick up extra hours working at a second job.

Both jobs require my focus and attention, and I really don't need extra distractions to divert that attention.  As a result, I set my cell phone to vibrate or off when I'm teaching, working at my other job, or driving to one location or another.

In other words, I've disconnected myself from the electronic tether that seems so ubiquitous these days.  At first, I found it somewhat disconcerting to not being able to be reached or to reach out and check for messages.

I overcame that odd feeling, and I've found that I'm really starting to like escaping that electronic leash, even if it's for a short time.  Actually, I've been extending that time of freedom, because I really like reconnecting to the world - the world that has been around a few billion years before cell phones, the Internet, and the wonderful electronic gadgetry humans have created in such a short period.

I acknowledge that I belong to two worlds - the affinity with nature guy that I've always been, and the gadget-loving guy that I began to turn into probably after seeing my first sci-fi movie.

It's the nature-me that I've enjoyed getting back into touch with.  I can't afford to wander off into the wilderness and live out of a tent, but I can certainly unplug and reconnect with the land, the plants, the birds, the awesome power of nature for awhile each day.

I love it when I grab my backpack, loaded with materials for class, turn off the phone, walk out the door and head toward campus.

Hello world! Thanks for waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment