Saturday, December 25, 2010

I Got a Comb for Christmas

  Sometimes, it's the little things that mean a lot.  This year started out tough.  Things aren't any easier here at year's end.  In fact, in some ways things are worse.  But this isn't about the misfortune I've had during 2010.  That's the subject for another time, when I'm feeling up to it (it's been surrealistic, to say the least, and if it wasn't all true, I'd have a hard time believing all that's happened).
  This is about my Christmas here in 2010.  We haven't been able to do much this year, so the focus is on the family.  We've been able to get the kids a few things, although I wanted to do more.  You see, I'm a giver.  I love to give gifts.  It hurts when I can't give what I want to give.  
  I grudgingly accepted this, and so things have been low-key.  I found a great spicy pretzel recipe online, which has been a hit at home.  And we were able to get some bargain-priced things for the kids.  They understand.  They were also surprised that Santa managed to drop off something at our house, even though it seems that the jolly ol' Red Ninja seems to prefer people with nice jobs and/or credit cards.
  As for me, my family knew what I wanted this year.  Santa wasn't going to bring me a job, and I don't have any relatives who are hiring.  But the other thing I really wanted was a comb.  It sounds silly, but I've managed to lose three (at least) combs this year.  Small things, indeed.  But I still have enough hair that I really do need to comb it daily.  I suppose a brush would do, but I'm past my blow-dryer-and-brush days and I really don't feel the need to look like a graying 1980's era metal head (which I am, deep down inside).
  I asked for a comb.  It's something I knew we could afford, and I know I could have grabbed one any old time.  But I also know that my family knows how I've struggled to be a good provider, and how frustrated I've been looking for a job that pays a living wage for us.  A comb would mean a lot.
  And so this morning as we sat near our little tree, passing out the gifts, I noticed a small flat gift, and it had my name on it.  Yes, I got my comb.  And it's a decent-sized one.  Not too big, and not too small.  And it has a handle.  It's big enough that if it gets misplaced, it should be easier to find than the ones that went AWOL through the year.  I got some other things as well this year, but the comb means a lot to me.  I got something I really wanted, something I'll use every day, something that requires no batteries, or 3G or 4G or wifi or subscription or contracts.
  I got a comb for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment