Thursday, November 25, 2010

...But I LIKE Veggies!

I recently decided to step up my efforts to get healthier.  Since I can't afford health insurance, I figure that by losing weight and making healthy food choices, I'll be able to lower my blood pressure and not have to face the gouging at the pharmacy for BP meds.


I bought a jump rope and found out that, like riding a bike, it's something my body automatically remembered how to do.  I added jumping rope to simple bodyweight exercises, and my muscles are toning up.


However, I decided to also eat more veggies and less meat.  I found that my version of stir-fry is quite delicious - I use olive oil, which may cost a little more, but it's quite tasty and healthy.  I've chopped up all kinds of things to put in the pan - celery, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots.  My new favorite is the eggplant, although it soaks up a lot of oil while cooking.


I also rediscovered an old favorite - sweet potatoes.  I used to love sweet potato pie during the holidays, which my mom and both grandmothers fixed.  I got some the other day and baked them in the oven and ate them as they were.  AWESOME!  Why the heck did my folks add marshmallows?  Those suckers are naturally sweet!  I looked up some nutrition factoids, and it looks like sweet potatoes are also a very healthy vegetable.


I'm excited at the prospect of trimming down.  So much so that I put a picture of me from high school on my Facebook page to inspire me to reach a fit and trim weight, and to perhaps start running again - potentially competitively.


YEAH!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment