Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dishwasher Down!

  I could have gotten upset over this, because it seems that washing the dishes is a never-ending task.  Right now, our dishwasher fills up with hot water and goes through the timed cycles, but what it fails to do is spray water to rinse off the dishes.  There is a click, like it's trying to do something, but like a car with a bad starter, it doesn't quite hit the point where it's actually starting.
  Instead of getting all upset, I decided to wash a few dishes by hand the other night as I was cooking supper.  I used the dishwasher's racks as drying racks and zoned out while washing and keeping an eye on the stove.  By the time the macaroni and cheese was done and mixed with the cooked broccoli, I had the dishwasher filled with clean, dry dishes.  Almost without thinking, I washed the stuff I used for cooking and put them in the counter dish drainer to dry.  
   The whole process took less time than the dishwasher would have, and I got more done.  Not only that (and don't tell anybody), but the act of washing the dishes in the warm, sudsy water had a pleasant calming effect.  Maybe that's why my mom seemed to not mind washing the dishes when I was a kid.
   I find it interesting that sometimes the "old school way" of doing things can be a pleasant and fulfilling experience.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree... sometimes it's nice to actually have something to show for work you did and feel like you accomplished something! It's like starting to mow the lawn, paint a room, etc. It's annoying to get started, but once you are working it can be pretty relaxing! I actually loved heading outside to work on the house and just zoning out for hours in the sun and warm breeze, then the next thing I knew I was done.

    ReplyDelete